IIT Kharagpur has the largest campus of 2100 acres. And its buildings were designed under the guidance of a Swiss architect Werner M. Moser which make this campus definitely an extra ordinary one. IIT Kharagpur has 19 academic departments, eight multi-disciplinary centres/schools, and 13 schools of excellence in addition to more than 25 central research and development units.
The institute campus has six guest houses, a civic hospital, four nationalised banks, four schools, a railway reservation counter and a police station. The campus has a water pumping station, electrical sub-station, telephone exchange, a market, six restaurants, and a garbage disposal section for the daily needs of the residents.
1. The Old Building, where it all started… (This place was Hijli Detention Camp during British rule).
Circle of life:
2. The Main Building. All the administrative activities take place here.
Main Building on Republic Day Celebrations
3. This is the Gymkhana. Here you can attend most of the sports facilities. It also serves as a meeting spot for various student communities.
4. Lakeside at Gymkhana.
5. Jnan Ghosh Stadium (Only IIT Kharagpur and IIT Madras have synthetic tracks).
6. Nalanda Classroom Complex. Most classes take place here.
7. View of the classroom.
8. Netaji Auditorium. You will begin and end your journey here… and then every weekend (even during exams !) will become fun with free movie screening). This is also the place where most of the stage shows take place during the General Championship. So this place will definitely make a special place in your heart !
9. Tagore Open Air Theatre or TOAT as we call it. Enjoy some great shows and stand-ups here…
10. Hostels 💖 (we call them halls of residence).
Civil Engineering Hostel
for first year was of triple occupancy
College life in IIT kharagpur
Founded in 1950, IIT Kharagpur is the first IIT to be set up in the country and is recognized as an institute of National Importance by the Government of India.
NIRF Ranking 2019, IIT Kharagpur enjoys the 4th rank in the Engineering.
Oldest IIT in the Country
Stepping into the IIT Kharagpur campus, you will realize nothing in your life would now be of the same scale as before. Life at IIT Kharagpur is larger than life, thanks to its 2200 acre campus, the aggressive competitive spirit among students and the vast pool of Technical programmes. Thousands of kilometres away from home, IIT Kharagpur is your home for the next four years. Life at IIT Kharagpur may seem daunting to many of you, but after a while, you get used to seeing the strange face that becomes familiar with time. Though IIT Kharagpur is the oldest IIT in the country, it has enabled itself to stay ahead of time and meet the expectations of aspirants. Every day at IIT Kharagpur is a new day with all sorts of lectures, technical events, seminars, guest lectures and activities. Few months into the course, you will feel you have seen it all that is when greater experiences and surprises await you down the line.
Student Life at IIT-KGP has two anchors – Halland Gymkhana
The institute is fully residential. Students are accommodated in 21 Halls of Residence and the staff is provided with quarters. Accommodation for visitors is arranged in the Technology Guest House, CEC Guest House, Alumni Guest House or CTS Visitors Hall, or if need arises, in students’ Hall of Residence.
- Halls at Kharagpur: A place to live, nurture, grow and excel
- Belonging to one’s hall, often referred to as Hall Tempo, is soon inherited within each KGPian, and henceforth the hall becomes an integral part of one’s identity
- Broad spectrum of Inter Hall activities canvassed with Intra Hall activities
- A culture quite unique to IIT Kharagpur
- Theme based celebration of each hall of residence towards the end of an academic year
- Celebration of sorts with people inviting their friends to their room and rejoicing the year well spent
All the Halls of Residence and Guest houses have regular catering facilities. Other eating places are Sahara, Dreamland, Vegies, Super-Duper, Tikka, Billoo’s Restaurant etc. Some joints located within the Institute premises serve tea, coffee, soft drinks and light snacks.
Technology Students Gymkhana
- Nerve Centre of all extra-curricular and co-curricular activities on campus
- Incepted in 1952
- Managed by the students, for the students, under guidance & active participation of faculty and staff members
Inter-IIT, Athletics, Football, Aquatics, Hockey, Badminton, Lawn Tennis, Basketball, Table Tennis, Chess, Bridge, Water Polo, Cricket, Weightlifting, Volleyball.
Social & Cultural
Dramatics, Music, Dance, Debate, Illumination, Rangoli, Spring Fest
Kshitij, Knowledge Cup (Tech Quiz, Biz Quiz, Math Olympiad), Innovation Cup (Hardware Modeling, Ad Design, Product Design), Application Cup (Case Study, Chemical Innovation, Open Soft)
Weekly teaching, Scholarship and study support, Support to women self-help group, Medical camp, Backward caste certificate camp, Awareness campaigns, Cloth distribution, Village road-building.
Celebrating Diwali is a part of the students life at IIT-KGP. Students prepare for over a month for a competition which takes place on the day of Diwali for best Illumination (lighting lamps – Diyas) and Rangoli. This is an inter-hall competition and prize is awarded by Technology Students Gymkhana every year on the same day. Students exhibit extraordinary skills in conceptualizing, designing, execution and apllication of technological methods in this competition.
The Central Library offers about 300,000 volumes in an open shelf system on different fields of science and technology, humanities and social sciences. The library subscribes to about 1400 periodicals. The library system is fully computerized and users can access foreign university libraries through wide-area network facilities.
All book reading fans out there check this new initiative from HRD and IIT KGP. 6.5 million books are now available in one single portal, where you can read online, or download the books. There are text books, audio and video content. Just browsing them all may take years! Enjoy. National Digital Library is an initiative by HRD ministry. It is a huge collection of learning resources (68 lakh books) from primary to PG level. Students can use it free of charge.
To register, go to: https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in
The backbone of lIT Kharagpur network is based on gigabit fibre optic technology. All the Departmental LANs are connected to the gigabit fibre optic backbone as separate VLANs. Three links are in use to provide email and Internet facilities. All laboratories, faculty and officers chambers, All rooms in halls of residence are provided with Internet connectivity.
Academic progress of students is given the utmost importance. In the first year students are taught almost every basic subject from all the departments. Also students are allowed to take up additional courses which are of their interest and not taught by their respective departments. Students are encouraged to undertake projects supervised by their professors. Some are even sent to foreign training to gain international exposure. Like everything in IIT-KGP , the academic syllabus too is dramatically huge. The academic competition is intense and would always keep you on your toes.
Every day was a new adventure with all sorts of workshops, seminars, guest lectures and even marathons going on every other day.