|Metallurgical Engineering||Mining Engineering|
Materials are so important in the development of civilization that we associate ages with them. In the origin of human life on earth, people used only natural materials, like stone and wood. When people found copper and how to make it harder by alloying, the Bronze Age started about 3000 BC. The use of iron and steel, a stronger material that gave advantage in wars started at about 1200 BC. The next big step was discovered by a cheap process to make steel around 1850, which enabled the railroads and the building of the modern infrastructure of the industrial world. – People began to make tools from stone, the beginning t of Stone Age about two million years ago.
Need to study Materials Science and Engineering
- To be able to select a material for a given use based on consideration of cost and performance;
- To understand the limits of materials and the change of their properties with use;
- To be able to create a new material that will have some desirable properties
Dr. APJ Abul Kalam, an eminent Materials Scientist and former President of India said; the world’s future is ruled by three “T”, they are:
- Bio-Technology (B.T.)
- Information-Technology (I.T.)
- Nano-Technology (N.T.)
- Metallurgy and Materials Engg is offered by various IITs, NITs and Govt. and Private Universities throughout India and in particular in A.P. The course is offered as B.E. / B. Tech (Metallurgical. Engg.).
- The eligibility criterion is JEE for IITs and NITs, EAMCET for A.P. State Government and Private Engg. Colleges.
- Some of the Institutes offering B.E./B. Tech (Metallurgical Engg.) in A.P are:
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- Andhra University College of Engg., Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
- JNTU Hyderabad
- JNTU Kakinada (JNTU Vizianagaram)
- Yogi Vemana University (Pulivendula)
- IIITs of Nuzivedu, Basara, and Pulivendula (Eligibility is merit in SSC examination)
- MGIT, Hyderabd
4. Some of the Institutes offering Diploma (Metallurgical Engg.) in A.P is:
- Govt. Polytechnic, Visakhapatnam
- Govt. Polytechnic, Vijayawada
- Govt. Polytechnic, Vizianagaram
- Govt. Polytechnic, Kothagudem
- Govt. Polytechnic, Hyderabad
Higher education options with the branch:
After completion of B.E. /B.Tech in Met. Engg.; one can purse for higher studies like:
- M. Tech in Metallurgical Engg, then take up a job either in Industry, Research etc.
- M. Tech in Metallurgical Engg, then Ph D in Metallurgical Engg., Can choose a job in teaching as ‘Assistant Professor’, or Research & Development as ‘Scientist’.
- M.S. in Materials Science through GRE (USA, Germany etc)
5. Course AnalysisMetallurgical Engineering is a broad field that deals with all sorts of metal related areas. The main branches of this field are:
- Extractive Metallurgy: It involves extraction of metals from ores.
- Physical Metallurgy: It deals with problem solving. You will develop the sorts of metallic alloys needed for different types of manufacturing and construction.
- Mechanical Metallurgy: It deals about the various testing methods and its mechanisms of metals and alloys
- Welding Metallurgy: It involves the studies on various metal joining processes.
- Corrosion Metallurgy: Deals about the loss of materials during the servicing condition with respect to corrosive atmosphere.
- Studies on advanced materials like: Polymers, Ceramics, Composite, Nano materials etc.
Job profileAfter pursuing a degree in Metallurgical Engineering, it has a broad field which deals with all sorts of metal related areas.
- In industries: If your goal is to land in industry, specific requirements like alloy design, chemistry control, materials quality control procedures, corrective actions for quality issues, materials specifications can be a cutting edge in industries.
- Areas of research: Areas of research include your area of interest. Metallurgy doesn’t rely only on altering the physical and chemical properties of metals, because Materials Engineering is an inter-disciplinary science and involves properties of matter with applications to various branches of science and engineering.
- Most research areas include-Metal Forming, Material Science, Crystallography Technique, Powder Metallurgy, Nano Science and Nano Technology, Forensic Engineering, etc……
- The origin to most areas of research comes from the question “Why do materials behave the way they do?”
- Knowledge of experimental techniques
- operational features of sophisticated instruments
- Analytical ability
- Good at basic sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Geology)
Salary for the successful candidates
- In industries like SAIL (Steel Authority of India Ltd) and RINL (Visakhapatnam Steel Plant) – 5.0 to 5.5 Lakhs per annum
- In IOCL (Indian Oil Corporation Ltd) – 6.0 Lakhs per annum
- In other private industries- 4.0 to 5.0 Lakhs per annum
- In Research labs like DMRL (Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory) – 4.5-5 L per annum.
- And after MS in a reputed foreign university around 3.0 Lakhs pm in foreign countries.
- Metallurgical Engineering graduates must possess an open mind and should limit themselves to popularly heard jobs. Sometimes putting your specialized training and creativity into practical use can provide good salaries, benefits and remuneration in industries.
- Metallurgical Engineering graduates career is highly job satisfactory with good remuneration packages.
Top companies offering jobsFerrous (Iron & Steel) Industries: As a Junior Manager
- Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL),
- Visakhapatnam Steel Plant, Visakhapatnam
- Jindal Steel Works (JSW) – Bellary,
- TISCO- Jamshedpur,
- USHA Martin group,
- Essar Steels- Gujarat etc.
- National Mineral Developing Corporation (NMDC)
- Kudrumukh Iron Ore Ltd, Mangalore
- Foundry industries like: Ennore foundries (Ashok Leyland), Kulti Foundries, Asansol, West Bengal
- Ferro alloy plants (FACOR, Garividi, Vizianagaram)
- Sponge Iron ltd (SIIL), Palvancha, Khammam
Non- Ferrous (Al, Cu etc) Industries: As a Junior Manager
- National Alumnium Co. Ltd. (NALCO)
- Sterlite group
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd
- Hindustan Copper Ltd. (HCL)
- MIDHANI, etc
Oil Companies: As a Junior Manager
- IOCL etc.
Research Institutes: As a Scientist
- DMRL (Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory)
- NML (National Metallurgical Laboratory)
- BARC (Bhaba Atomic Research Center)- Mumbai
- IGCAR (Indira Gandhi Center for Atomic Research)- Kalpakkam
- Hindustan Aeronautical Ltd (HAL) – Bangalore
- CMET- Labs, Hyderabad
Colleges offering Metallurgical Engineering in Andhra Pradesh as per 2013 counseling data:
A U COLLEGE OF ENGG. VISAKHAPATNAM
JNTU COLLEGE OF ENGG. HYDERABAD
JNTU COLLEGE OF ENGINNEERING VIZIANAGARAM
Other Famous Institutes
- IIT Kanpur, Roorkee, Madras
- Institute of Technology-BHU, Varanasi
- NIT Durgapur, Jamshedpur, Karnataka, Raipur, Rourkela, Warangal, Srinagar, Tiruchirapalli
- O.P. Jindal Institute of Technology
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur