- First of all, install the OneSignal plugin. Here’s how to do so:
- Open your WordPress dashboard.
- Navigate to Plugins -> Add New.
- Search for “OneSignal” via the search bar.
- Once you’ve found OneSignal among the results, click Install Now.
- Once it’s installed, click the Activate button.
The plugin will create a new tab in your dashboard called OneSignal Push. Open it, and you’ll see a new page outlining the rest of the steps you’ll need to follow.
2. Set Up a OneSignal Account
Now that you have installed and activated OneSignal, you will need to create a OneSignal account to use the plugin. Follow these steps to set up your OneSignal account:
(i) Open the OneSignal home page. The link is provided in your dashboard’s OneSignal tab, under the Setup -> Overview section.
(ii) On the homepage, click the Get Started Now button.
(iii). Sign up using your email address.
(iv) OneSignal will send a confirmation message to your email address. Click the confirmation button included in the email, and you will get access to your OneSignal dashboard.
3. Create a Push Notification App
Once you’ve created a OneSignal account, OneSignal will prompt you to add your app or website. Follow along these steps to achieve this:
- First, set a name for your app. You will use this name for internal identification purposes.
- Choose a platform that you wish to use for this app, which is Web Push.
- Click the Next: Configure Your Platform button at the bottom of the page to continue to the next step.
- This will direct you to the Web Configuration window. Under the Choose Integration section, select WordPress Plugin or Website Builder.
5. This will expand a selection of supported website builders and content management systems (CMS). Click on WordPress to select it.
6. Scroll down and enter your site name and URL.
7. Indicate whether your WordPress site uses HTTPS or not. OneSignal recommends using HTTPS on your domain since HTTP comes with several limitations, including the inability to migrate from OneSignal.
8. Click Save to move on to the next step.
This section also offers an option to set a notification icon, making the alerts more recognizable.Download Movavi Photo Editor
4. Configure the OneSignal Plugin
After saving the app configuration in the OneSignal dashboard, it’s time to configure the WordPress plugin. You’ll see a new page showing the APP ID and API KEY. Here are the following steps you need to do to configure the WordPress plugin:
- Keep the Web Configuration page open. Copy the APP ID and API KEY that are located in the Configure WordPress Plugin section.
On another tab, return to your WordPress dashboard, then navigate to the OneSignal Push -> Configuration section. Paste the APP ID and API KEY to the App ID and REST API Key field, respectively.
- In the OneSignal Label field, type in the name you chose during the previous step. In this example, that’s WordPress Push Notifications.
- Scroll down to the Prompt Settings & Subscription Bell section. This section provides an option to prompt new users to subscribe automatically. Turn off the toggle if you want users to decide for themselves whether they wish to subscribe or not.
- Scroll down further to change the text of your subscription messages. Use the default messages or create custom messages for various actions.
- On the Welcome Notification Settings section, you’ll see that OneSignal will send a welcome message via a push notification when someone subscribes to your website. Customize the message or disable it through this section.
- Finally, choose whether to send automatic notifications whenever you publish a new post via the Automatic Notification Settings section.
- Click Save on your WordPress dashboard and hit the Finish button on your OneSignal dashboard.
Note that it’s best to activate the automatic push notification if you only publish a new post once or twice a week. If you publish a new post daily, your push notifications may begin to feel like spam.
You must log in to post a comment.