- Mechanical engineering is concerned with mechanical systems, thermodynamics, and kinematics.
- Mechanical engineers’ work includes development from miniature components to extremely large plant, machines or vehicles.
Mechanical Engineering deals with design, manufacture, installation and operation of engines, machines, robotics, heating & cooling systems and manufacturing processes.
Core Areas: Statics & Dynamics Control, Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, Machine Design, Strength of Materials, Materials Science, Theory of Design
Job areas: Mechanical engineers work in the automotive, aerospace, chemical, computer, communication, paper, power generation and almost all manufacturing companies.
- Top Recruiters: PSUs like BHEL, BPCL, DRDO, GAIL, Indian Oil, NTPC and Govt. jobs in Railways, Telegraph, Defense, Public works department etc. Private companies like Ashok Leyland, Honda, Mahindra & Mahindra, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors and software companies like Infosys, TCS and WIPRO hire mechanical engineers.
- Production engineering is the study of manufacturing technology
- Production professionals make production possible through the smoothest, most-judicious and most-economical techniques.
- It is the application of castings, joint processes, metal cutting & tool design, metrology, machine tools, machining systems, automation, jigs and fixtures, and die and mould design.
- Core Areas: It deals with Engineering Materials, Machining Science, Welding, Forming, Casting, CAD/CAM/CIM, Tool Design, Process Engineering & Tooling, Mechatronics & management.
- Job areas: Production engineers are employed by manufacturing industries, automobile industries, management consultancies, construction industries, jewellery industries, refining industries, and service industries.
- Top recruiters: The top recruiters include National Thermal Power Corporation, Indraprastha Gas Limited, Aditya Birla, Cairn India, Larsen & Toubro, Reliance Industries and Sterlite Industries.