This subject is resulted from the blend of Molecular Biology and Information Technology. It is about compilation and mining of the data prepared through biotechnological research. Informatics is a major subject of bioinformatics.
Bioinformatics is offered in different bachelor’s and master’s programmes such as B.Sc. in Bioinformatics, B.Sc. in Biotech and Bioinformatics, Diploma in Bioinformatics, M.Sc. in Bioinformatics, PG Diploma in Bioinformatics and Advanced PG Diploma in Bioinformatics.
Bioinformatics National Certification Examination (BINC)
On behalf of the Department of Biotechnology, JNU conducts the BIMC every year. Those who have graduated with Science, Agriculture, Veterinary, Medicine, Pharmacy and Engineering subjects are eligible for this exam.
Opportunities: The bioinformatics specialists get opportunities in IT companies, pharmaceutical companies, healthcare, biotechnology and medical research organisations.
Following are the institutions that are offering PG programmes in Bioinformatics:
• Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
• Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani.
• Hyderabad Central University, Hyderabad.
• International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad.
• Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad.
• Amity Institute of Nano Technology, Noida.
• University of Pune, Pune.
• University of Mumbai, Mumbai.